9/30/14

The Bahrain McMANSION in 1957


The caption says this is a "Sheik's Palace Bahrain 57." I don't know why, but as soon as I saw it I thought of San Quentin Prison. If you take the ferry from Larkspur, California to San Francisco you pass right by San Quentin. For some reason that's what I thought of when I saw this. Perhaps it's the blockish windows in a row and the lack of greenery. I imagine inside it was pretty interesting.

Another shot from Donald G. Schnabel's visit to Bahrain.


Click on image to see it larger.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing the Palace has a street of rubble and debris too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder if the place still exist now that it's all high rises.

      Delete
  2. If you had not told us what it was I would guess a prison too. A few weeks ago while traveling through Moundsville, WV, I was at the front door of an castle like abandoned building that I recognized as an old style tin-cups on the cell door bars penitentiary. It resembled some of the other state prisons from the early 20th century that I've found in my research - central English gothic entrance, tall narrow windows, and crenelated stone walls.
    http://goo.gl/maps/7ze6B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen the gate to Folsom prison? Castle. Now Alcatraz...not at all.

      Delete