9/10/14

Donald G. Schnabel visits BAHRAIN IN FEBRUARY 1957


We're going on another trip with Donald G. Schnabel and his camera. This time we're going to Bahrain in February 1957. I think you'll find the upcoming posts a bit interesting.

This first shot is, if the label is correct, a shot of Bahrain.


Click on image to see it larger.

It's hard to think of the Middle East without thinking of politics. And it's hard to not think of the politics of today without the history of the region. What part Donald G. Schnabel played, if any, I don't know. But there will be a historical figure involved who I never heard of. A post about him will be next. This man was very much involved with the politics in Bahrain and Iran.

This may or may not be the plane Donald flew in.


Click on image to see it larger.

9 comments:

  1. The 1940 US Census lists Donald G.'s occupation as "purchasing agent" for an "oil business."

    In 1960, he is listed in the 1960 - Greenwich, Connecticut city directory as "Purchasing Agent".

    I wonder what he was buying and for whom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that makes sense. I always thought he might have worked in the oil industry.

      Delete
    2. I think the plane might be a De Haviland D.h.104 Dove based on the "junk" sticking out of the nacelle and the fact that they were flown by Bahrain's Gulf Aviation during the time period.

      Delete
    3. I have a really bad slide of a plane, which I assume was the one Donald flew on. I might post it, but it's really bad.

      Delete
    4. If it looks like this:

      http://www.cnapg.net/zdove04029.htm I would love to see the slide, no matter how bad it is! :)

      Delete
    5. G-AMJZ is a De Havilland DH-104 Dove 1B built in 1948 once owned by Gulf Aviation who bought it in 1951 and sold it in 1962.

      :)

      Delete
    6. Thank you. I'm guessing it's scrap by now.

      Delete
  2. Neat photo... nice info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an intriguing photo that could be a screen shot for a science fiction movie.

    ReplyDelete