9/17/14

Security wait at THE BAHRAIN AIRPORT IN 1957


I'm hoping people know what Bahrain looks like now. A place of insane construction of high rises with tourists and banking their major industry. But once upon a time, back in January 1957, this was the airport. Now I want you to wrap your head around this. For those who never experienced flying when it was still sane; when you were treated special. They were really thrilled to have you on board. You weren't treated like a contagious disease that needed to be turned in all directions and then placed in a hermetically sealed capsule and told to sit down and shut up. Not that I hate flying these days. It's a truly joyful experience and the airlines are bending over backwards to fill your every want and need as they pick your pockets. Snork.

Here we have the Bahrain Airport that Donald G. Schnabel visited. I'm guessing security, passport control, took a few moments and then you too could take a seat in the warm sun and wait for your plane to taxi over. Now I'm not saying the service was great. I doubt there were any little bottles of Scotch on board, fresh meals, warm wash clothes. Nope, I'm guessing the best you might hope for was a box of Chicklets to help your ears make it through take off and landing. But it was far more relaxed. Don't these fellas look relaxed?




Click on images to see them larger.

6 comments:

  1. When I was looking for the airplane Douglas might have flown, I found that the airstrip was "packed sand" and that they couldn't fly in bigger planes since the propellers washed the runway away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say there's been great change in Bahrain the past 57 years. Probably not much open space of sand left.

      Delete
  2. Another artistic photo, reminiscent of an Arabic version of Edward Hopper. Where could a flight go? Cairo? Bombay? Tehran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you probably got a hop, skip, and a jump to the next place where hopefully you could climb on something to got a bit farther. Then again, perhaps the flights were nonstop to...

      Delete
  3. What great pics! I'm guessing the bottles were in the pockets... or the robes.

    ReplyDelete