7/28/11

WOMEN and TRANSPORTATION


To think there are places in this world where women aren't allowed to drive makes my head spin. I won't go into it other than to say the men in those countries have some serious problems. Anything that impedes on a woman's right to make self-determined choices in her life, all aspects of her own life, are simply wrong.

Using this weeks Sepia Saturday image as my jumping off point I give you Women and Transportation, all sorts of transportation.

Most of these images come from the Ten Buck Box. A couple come from the estate sale of Mr. Roberts.

Click on any image to see it larger.


On the door it says "Just an old Ford" and "Merry Widows".


I believe this may be Gertrude (Rich) Bowen.




This one is from the Robert's estate and I'm guessing this was taken at Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California.


I'm guessing this one was taken in Nebraska.



If anyone knows what model these cars are drop me a line so I can add the information to the post. Why? Well, just because. Oh heck, if you know what the farm equipment is called give me that too. I'm seriously doubting anyone will have any info about the horses...then again....

Now get out there and drive, drive, drive wherever your heart takes you...and a full tank of gas.

19 comments:

  1. Frances has that look of steely determination. I’d love to have seen her behind the wheel of a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I bet she'd have little time for a GPS unit. Once she turned the key just step out of her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father had a 1947 Plymouth that looked like the second car. Here is a video of a 1947 Plymouth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4J1dTespw

    I think the Dodge looked almost the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the second person to say '47 Plymouth so I'm guessing that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The farm equipment is a drag harrow. Drag harrows were used to smooth out a field and break up clumps off dirt after plowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know the cars (or the horses!)but I did recognise the harrow. WJY beat me to it.
    Despite the age of the photo I was surprised to see a woman driving the horses in such a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Could feel The Wind Blowing Through My Hair Just By Looking At The Photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to trade my car for Gertrude's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the curves on back of the car in the 2nd photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Plymouth. Has such wonderful lines. Would love to see one of these.

    It is fun seeing the woman on the farm equipment. I imagine this was just a "stunt" on a Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a collection of 'transports of delight' !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great photos! I especially enjoyed the first one, of the Merry widows...were they out looking for husbands you think? They looked pretty merry/happy to me!....

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is the last one on horseback. The open sky and confident look on the young lady just says "freedom".

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first one really made me chuckle! Reminds me of an early version of Thelma and Louise. I wonder what their story is. Hmmm ... I may have to create one for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The car in the first photo is surely the model that Laurel and Hardy used to destroy fairly regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only a collection as wide and varied as yours could give rise to such a varied range of photographs of women and transportation. Quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm afraid I don't know one car from another so I can't help you there. My preferred transport would be the harrow - just about my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first photo reminds me of one I posted a few months past of my "just married" car. (The car wasn't quite that old) It had "mistake" and "time will tell" painted on it. Both true!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete