3/16/11

SITTING and READING


I literally dreamt about this photo last night so I figured I had to post it. It was purchased at an estate sale last year.

It was a restless night with little sleep. When I did sleep I had some very strange and adventurous dreams. In one of the more mundane moments, I suddenly realized I needed to find a photo and began going through albums. I came upon this one. In the real world this is not in an album. In my dream I wrote a whole post about this fellow and the marvelous room. The simple fact that he's sitting and reading is charming these days. And please note his book does not require batteries. My mental writing was very clever, but alas I remember none of it so my even saying it was clever is to be questioned. In my dream I believed it clever, but then I went and petted my feral peacock so there you go. Oh, and there was something about spies.


Click on image to see it larger.

I love the peaceful setting of this room. The victrola. The beautiful clock on the bookcase. Even the bookcase itself. Then add in the light from what appears to be a bedroom. A comfortable and lovely home. Let's escape there for awhile and just wander through the rooms while he quietly reads. Don't bother the reader. If he looks up just nod and smile and quietly explore. I expect he too has a nice smile.

10 comments:

  1. It really is such a pretty room - I think I see a pretty fern by the window. Love the way the pictures are hung so high. My dad used to do that. Wouldn't mind having a place like that house. Enjoyed reading about your dreams - there is absolutely no way to think up the things that you dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my peacock would let me pet him, but the best I can get is to sit next to him and have him twirl around hitting me with his tail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The man certainly looks intent on his reading, doesn't he?! The room looks very comfortable - neat, tidy, nothing in excess. Wish I could go there for an afternoon. (But would I be bored with "nothing" to do?!) I have written in my dreams, too, also think whatever I've written is positively excellent and, like you, can never remember it in the morning. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good photo that can draw one in like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like spring with the sun shining bright in the bedroom window. He looks comfortable, not hot like summer. I love men in suits, don't you? I think our casual attire lost something for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Can you imagine it today? A guy sitting there with a baseball cap on backwards, shut off from the world with his iPod on, iPad in his lap, big huge screen tv on corner wall, and the book case full of electronic game systems. Oh, and he'd be sitting on a sectional couch. Would be a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Can you imagine it today? A guy sitting there with a baseball cap on backwards, shut off from the world with his iPod on, iPad in his lap, big huge screen tv on corner wall, and the book case full of electronic game systems. Oh, and he'd be sitting on a sectional couch. Would be a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun is this and your other photos. Nice commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember that a Victrola played records only 2-3 minutes long. Who would want to jump up so frequently to flip the record? This is quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed, that would be a scratchy annoying noise. But then we forget about the photographer. What was he or she doing?

    ReplyDelete