3/4/11

GEORGE KALLMAN grows up


The past two Sepia Saturday posts have been about a fellow named George Kallman. The first post is where I gave out all the actual details I have about this man and showed him with his sister Gladys. To see the second post click here.

I'm hoping someday a former student will do a search for him online and find these photos. It would be grand if someone were to step forward who knew him during his 40 years of teaching elementary school. There must be hundreds of former students from the San Francisco area who remember him. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

For now, we look at George as he moves from adolescence to an adult and what must have been a life changing event.

This first shot has no date on the back, but I'm assuming he's probably around a junior in high school.




These next two shots are dated June 12, 1945. Senior photos?






The following three are dated November 3, 1945. George joined the Army, either by choice or by draft.











And this final shot is dated February 2 1948.



I'm wondering when George got out of the service and where did he go to college to get his teaching degree? Most likely we'll never know.

This is my Sepia Saturday entry for this weekend. More of the Kallman family next week.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! What a difference when he smiles?! I hope he did it more in real life than the photos would suggest... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows, he looks like such a strikingly handsome young man and I'm sure there may been alot of young ladies who thought the same...and they may be wondering what ever happened to him! Great series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find out where he taught? I apologize if you already mentioned that, but I didn't see it in the posts. He looks like a sweet guy. If I were even remotely related to him, I would want these photos. I'm always puzzled when someone dies and the photos are left unclaimed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well George at least did survive the Army during that time when so many did not. He is a handsome young man. Yes surely there is a student somewhere out there....I remember my best teachers and recently leaned of our 3rd grade teacher's passing, went online and signed his obituary book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I have no other information about him and when I do a search nothing shows up.

    He does shine when he smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is very handsome. I'm sure that somebody will come up with the details you are looking for about George. To me, it is his hat that makes such a difference in his appearance. Happy SS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/05/2011

    I agree that it is a puzzle when I see photos for sale. Once heard a story of two sisters cleaning out their mother's things after she passed away and they were throwing away albums full of photos - not one of them named. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. for all of the pictures you've got, you don't have his certificate framed somewhere???? surprising... isn't there a union or organisation, or the department of education's records for certified teachers. or the school where he taught? i don't know how things were back in those days, but surely, you couldn't improvised yourself a teacher, there has to be records, somewhere...
    good luck!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ticklebear,

    You have now jogged my memory. I do have one document, his high school diploma. I'd forgotten about it because it's old brownish paper rolled and tied with a faded ribbon. It's still in a box of photos that are framed. I have yet to figure where to store them.

    So I can say he graduated high school on June 21, 1944. I shall have to put this in another post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there you go!!
    let's see what else you can find....
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a rich collection of portraits : makes you feel as if you have almost watched him grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8/19/2012

    I believe he taught in Novato. He was a cousin to my husband. He loved to ski and even learned to snow board at age 70. He also loved to dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told he loved to dance and do have a photo of him on skis as a young man. And the relative who gave me the collection did mention about his taking up snowboarding when he was older. Sounds like he was quite a wonderful man.

      Delete
  13. George Kallman taught my fifth grade class at Olive Elementary in Novato, north of S.F.

    This was ‘76-77 or so.

    Don’t know if he was the same guy in the pics

    ReplyDelete