8/1/11

STRANGERS at the CARNIVAL


Have you ever been to a carnival when it's virtually devoid of customers? There's an eeriness to all of it. It's sort of like clowns; you know it's supposed to be a happy place, but without all the people covering up the ugliness it just becomes a bit creepy.

These photos are from the Ten Buck Box and most likely were taken by Arthur Bowen around 1951 when he was living in Germany. Arthur is Gertrude's son.

Look at these and tell me what you see?

Click on any image to see it larger.





I can't stop thinking of the finale in Strangers On a Train.

7 comments:

  1. It looks like some fabulous carnival art if you're asking. I wish it were in color. The panels had to have been hand-painted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are bleak. They remind me of the ferris wheel scene in The Third Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I imagine in color it would be stunning. It wouldn't be the garish plastic day-glo you find these days at fairs.

    Oh yes, The Third Man indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must agree with you. I also think they're a bit creepy. I was never crazy about carnivals. I think I've watched too many old black and white movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a Bit Like Seaside Resorts Out of Season.You Can Sense The Absence....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that these were taken in the early morning when no one was on the midway. All of the joints (games) are all closed up. Personally I love a Midway withoutt people! I agree the scenery was most likely hand painted and stunning.. these are a great find:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. It is early morn. Makes it a little less creepy.

    ReplyDelete