12/14/10

A SLEEPING SEABEE


My father has always said how tough it was being overseas at Christmas. He still chokes up when he hears Bing Crosby singing White Christmas and remembers how there were times they were told not to play the recording because it made the fellas so homesick.

I have no idea when this snapshot was taken. It is from my Great Uncle Roy's box of photos when he was a Seabee during World War II while stationed in New Guinea. Have no idea who this sleeping fella is.

Click on image to see it larger.

When you crawl between the sheets tonight think of those far from home sleeping in something like this and how much they miss their families during the holidays.

To see more from Uncle Roy's box of vernacular photographs click here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Good reminder. I was looking at this photo and thinking it doesn't look very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I note the shelter - Monsoon season perhaps.

    ReplyDelete