12/26/14

THE QUIET ART OF READING from Tattered and Lost


Now that Christmas has passed, I can be a bit more vocal about my latest creation since those who received it as a gift won't have had their surprise taken away by a post.

Tattered and Lost: The Quiet Art of Reading is a book that came about during a dinner conversation when reading became the topic of discussion. Since the future looks questionable for finding vintage snapshots with the advent of everything being digital, and so few people getting actual prints made, I wondered what would happen to images of people reading actual printed material. Will the future be just shots of people staring at antiseptic digital devices? Will photos of people actually holding printed material become a novelty? The hunt was on for a new category; I do so love categories. I love to immerse myself in a subject. This was a really joyous one to collect with most photos from the U. S.,  but Germany, France, England, and Japan are also represented.




If you love reading, appreciate the time you spend reading, and recognize that there is a certain beauty in the act of reading, then I think you'll enjoy the vernacular photographs in this book.

The book is available at Amazon and CreateSpace.









10 comments:

  1. Actually, the sales of traditional, paper books have been going up over the last few years. Especially among younger readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. I've been following it. My livelihood depends on it.

      Delete
  2. While I have a Barnes and Noble Nook and use it frequently, I much prefer to read a paper book.The future is a hard one to foretell though.

    I think my mom would enjoy this come Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm biased, but I do enjoy the photos in this book. There's a broad range of images with the final image my favorite. It shows the real romance of reading.

      Delete
    2. I got a copy for my Mom. :) I'm going to read it first...

      Delete
    3. There's really nothing to read. Any story is up to the reader who gleans anything from the photos. And I hope you both enjoy it. The feedback I've had so far has been very positive.

      Delete
    4. Got the book. It is beautifully done!

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much for the praise. I'm glad to hear it hopefully exceeded your expectations. And I hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I think there's room for one more in that hammock.
    Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Or half a set of Funk and Wagnalls.

      Happy newest of years to you too. Still miss your blog.

      Delete