3/13/15

CATEGORIES: Pets…specifically DOGS


The theme for Sepia Saturday this week also works nicely as a collectible vernacular photography category—pets and those who love them. Some people specialize in collecting photos of dogs. In fact, there are at least two books that feature nothing but photos of dogs. You'll find links to them in the left column available at Amazon (Photobooth Dogs and Dogs). I'm especially fond of the photobooth shots of dogs. My dog would never sit still long enough to have his photo taken in a photobooth. Shoot, I can barely get him to stand still long enough in the house to get a shot that isn't blurred. He's a puppy and has energy to spare. I'm envious.

These photos are both real photo postcards. They are from Donald G. Schnabel's family photo album, most likely taken in Ohio.


Click on image to see it larger.

I'm especially fond of this second shot. It reminds me of an image from a silent movie.



I doubt I'll ever set out to find snapshots of pets. If I find something that really speaks to me I'll buy it, but it's not a category I'll have to have. I've already got enough photos of all the pets I've owned over the years. They are the perfect category.

To see previous posts about dogs click "dog" in the tags below.
_________________

24 comments:

  1. The little girl is very sweet, although her dog is not interested in looking at the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine he's planning his escape.

      Delete
  2. The little girl in the second photo appears to be tangled in that bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps that's how they controlled her. "Dear, are you going to be outside working? Well, if you are would you mind taking Flo outside and attaching her to the bush?"

      Delete
  3. Love that first photo. The dog is just sitting there with them and not being held.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos. The little girl & her dog is especially sweet but I can't help think, when I see little girls in dresses like that, how much easier it would be for them to play freely in pants - long or short - and a t-top. We've come a long way, baby! But, of course, they didn't know any different. I wonder, though, if they were envious of the boys running around in pants and shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are both wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little girl has an "orphan annie" quality about her. I love the photo or her and the dog. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/14/2015

    I agree with Helen, very much an Orphan Annie look about her. Makes you just want to pick her up and cuddle her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little girl with her dog, who looks as if they might have been off doing girl and dog things and were caught out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dog stuff and kid stuff. Most definitely.

      Delete
  9. Is she actually sitting ON the dog? He looks somewhat embarrassed. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hear the piano playing in that silent film. Great post cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me. too. At any moment Chaplain will walk by.

      Delete
  11. She is just precious and I think her dog would rather skip the photo and run around with her some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think getting this shot with both of them still was probably a miracle.

      Delete
  12. The dog has that classic "Little Rascals" look, perhaps a pit bull terrier and Staffordshire mix. The second photo is another accidental work of art. In regards to La Night'l comment, small boys in this era were often dressed in skirts. Photos of my grandfather at her age have him in a similar dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope this isn't a little boy. The romance of it would be gone.

      Delete
  13. I love that little girl photo!! It belongs in a museum!

    ReplyDelete