2/11/12

The PLEASURE OF READING


I have within the past weeks become a caregiver for my father. I have been down this rutted path before so it’s not all new to me. It is lonely, tiring, and mind numbing. I make lists of things I need to do and while making the list I remember something else to add and quickly forget what it was I was already adding. I must remember to eat along with dole out meds, take care of appointments, and even just get the mail. It is at night when I spend a short time reading before sleep that I have a few moments to remember who I am.

Though again, I cannot fully participate in Sepia Saturday, I did want to post a few images for the theme of reading. All but the first image have been posted in the past, but all are moments of someone enjoying the simple pleasure of reading.

My books are my friends and acquaintances. Some I cherish, some I bitterly sneer at. I feel sorry for those who have no connection to books or bookstores. When I go into a home devoid of books I feel the place is incomplete and empty. Anyone who comes into my home and peruses my large bookshelves will find bits of me ready to be taken from the shelves and discovered.

If you arrived via Sepia Saturday do not feel obligated to leave a comment because I cannot do the same.

Click on any image to see it larger.




monty_tatteredandlost

14 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad not returning the favor of visiting. I've been a caregiver too, but fortunately I shared duties with my sister. It's a monumental job, more so if it falls on you alone. I wish you well. Even though you've used these photos before, they're new to me. I love the very Ricky Nelson-esque last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finding and sharing these photos at what must be a difficult time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am delighted to leave a comment rather than feeling obliged because those are quite wonderful and fascinating images. Good luck with the caring, I hope things settle back into place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly love the photos of the two men, because of all the details: built ins, furniture, decor, clothing , hairstyles. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's an interesting group of photos. I haven't seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I remember the one of the little girl with her grandmother reading...I seem to remember it was you or your mothe maybe as the young girl...it's a very precious photo...that's why it has stayed etched in my memory...things will even out soon with your father, it is a very dear thing that you are doing and all you can do is the best you know how....and it is surely appreciated I'm sure very much! Take good care of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this modern age the pleasure of reading has been expanded from words on paper to the scrolling script on computer monitors. This generation now finds wonderful stories and essays on blogs like yours. Be of good cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the first photo - I often wander about with a book in front of my nose. It's a wonder I don't fall over more often. Also the one of Monty with his leg slung over the arm of the chair, absorbed in his reading :-) Keep up the good work with your Dad and hope he is better soon. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely collection of images. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine idea for a category.

    I think we have more bookshelves than all the other furniture combined.

    I was my mother's sole caregiver for five years. You have my understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My books are my friends and acquaintances... lovely sentiment and one I share. I like these intimate snapshots very much. Hang in there, I admire what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting blog, which I am now following. My grandfather, L.P. Esmoer, learned photography in Nebraska, in the early 1890's. He later moved to Chicago and had a Photography Studio in Hyde Park from sometime in the later 1890's until 1911. I just wondered if you knew anything about him or his works and if so, would you be kind enough to share them with me. H died when I was only 8 years old, so I do not know much about him. Thanks for any help you may have, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry Joyce, but I don't know anything about your grandfather. I don't recall seeing any shots by him in my collection.

    I'd check out www.forgottenoldphotos.blogspot.com to see if she has had any photos by him. She lives in the midwest and often writes about various photographers from the area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading is one of my greatest pleasures. I could not imagine my world without books. I enjoyed your pictures and your words. All my best wishes. T♥

    ReplyDelete