6/10/16

The Boys of SUMMER


Summer isn't officially here, but the weather outside would beg to differ. And this week's Sepia Saturday image has that wonderful carefree summer feeling to it.

The strange photo below is my response. I actually have never been able to figure out if this is a double or triple exposure. There's so much going on in front of the young fellas standing by the river. Someone flies through the air while someone below takes a running stance about to charge towards the photographer. Heatstroke. That's what caused this image. No other explanation. Someone forgot to advance the film.



Saddened to hear of the passing of one of our fellow Sepians. Thanks to the net Barbara's hard work will live on.
_____

SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. Ah-ha! Skinny dipping. Too bad it's a double or triple exposure, but those old cameras did require photographers to remember to advance the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have imagined that multiple exposures would become a collectible? They are always worth taking a second look at.

      Delete
  2. This is probably one of the most unusual photographs I've ever seen. Don't you think those are women standing together? (Their behinds are too big to be men.) And are they naked? Don't you wish you could separate the images? And I wish I had the background info to know what was going on -- what happened before and after the photos were taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being thrilled when I found it. They are little boys, not girls. As to what is going on...no idea. At first all I ever saw was the line of boys and the person diving. Later I noticed the fella with his hands on the rocks ready to run. Pure oddness.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic image! Very much a summer dream quality from another time. It reminds me of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn which I recently re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It does have the Huck Finn feel to it. Summer time is the perfect time to revisit the book.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Nancy, those boys certainly have very female looking figures from behind, and I can understand why someone might not want them to be photographed. Very mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just young boys. It was pretty common to take nude shots of children at swimming holes. Nothing untoward.

      Delete
  5. Strange photo indeed - it makes my eyes hurt - but it's compelling so I look!

    I've some old photos of boys skinny dipping around a canal lock - they are quite un-self conscience about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is confusing. Brain can't make sense of it. Keep wanting to peel the layers back.

      Delete
  6. That is a fascinating photo. I wonder what the swoop at the top is supposed to be?

    ReplyDelete