1/9/10

...and we have the first vernacular photograph in the NEW CATEGORY!


I don't know, maybe it's because I was nice to the arthritic old man at Costco the other day who was having trouble getting his cart with groceries to his car. I walked with him then put all of his purchases in his back seat. Okay, I actually put the Vodka on the floor between a bag of frozen chicken and paper towels, but I did a nice thing and now it's returned in kind.

Robert, from the always amazing Live from the Surface of the Moon, has gifted me with the little bronco buster below. Yee haw! Ride 'em little dude as long as your nickel lasts! I now officially have a new category. Little dudes and dudettes on dime store horses. Oh, I must have done something good in a pervious life.

Boy on Royal Mustang_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

Thank you Robert.

7 comments:

  1. That is one fabulous picture. I had completely forgotten about those delightful horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen one in so long. I wonder what became of all of them. I'd like to think people collect them like they collect merry-go-round horses. I'd hate to think all the ponies ended up in the dump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun picture.
    There is a similarity between the
    boy's leg and the horse's back leg that adds to the photo.
    It would not have the same feel if the boy had on long pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, he is at one with the horse ...until the nickel runs out. And then did he get down on his own and go wandering through the adjacent store yelling "MOM! MOM!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't have any of these where I grew up. My kids however rode all manner of things outside the Winn Dixie store... of course it had gone up to a quarter.

    I haven't seen anything in years...I wonder if they had to be removed for a reason, like insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember these! I think I bashed my nose against its mane when it lurched forward! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eloh, I believe Richard has it on it. Someone got hurt and some numbskull probably sued. I never see these anymore either. I wish I had the time to travel the country hunting for different things, photographing them, before they all disappear into our memories. The last time I saw a mechanical anything was years ago outside a KMart. Some thing with seats that just went around in the circle. The kid looked bored. The mother looked bored. And all I could do was snicker.

    ReplyDelete