1/15/15

ALOHA from a Matson Liner


It was 56 years ago this month that I was on my way to Hawaii aboard a Matson Liner. This little tyke looks about half the age I was and I'm guessing it was in the 1930s. They had either just arrived or were about to set sale for California. If they'd just arrived they would soon be staying at, most likely, the Moana or the Royal Hawaiian.

I remember being covered to my nose with leis, the scent heavenly. And then once at our hotel/apartment we placed them all over the room. They lasted for days and then began to whither and turn brown. No problem. Right outside the front door was a plumeria bush, its scent drifted in through the louvered windows all day and night.

On the other hand, if they were leaving they should have soon be throwing the leis overboard hoping they would float to shore insuring they would again return to Hawaii. Can't do that from a plane. Some of the magic is gone.


Click on image to see it larger.


_________________

5 comments:

  1. You do know that several months ago I posted a Matson Lines passenger list to the Fair Use Bog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should like to travel to Hawaii by ship someday. Never mind the traumatic roll of the ocean, the slow anticipation of getting there must enhance the aura of a tropical paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the tradition of the Leis. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where it came from. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something someone at the Matson company dreamed up.

      Delete