5/26/14

It was QUITE A SPREAD!


Memorial Day, a day of remembrance. At least once a year I remember the two teenagers from high school who died in Vietnam. I don't know if there were others, but I'm still haunted by the one boy who always sat in front of me alphabetically.

But for most people, Memorial Day is the unofficial day of summer…and sales. I hate the sales part. I hate that stores are open on holidays. It's just wrong. We can stop shopping once in awhile and spend time with family and friends and not our credit cards.

What better way to spend the day than with a picnic of homemade food?


Click on image to see it larger.

Oh sure, it was easier to get the store-bought bread. And there was something enticing about that puffy white stuff that came in a bag. I wonder if "Favorite Bread" is still made?

It looks like everything else was homemade. I wonder what percentage of food on a picnic table today is homemade?


Click on image to see it larger.

3 comments:

  1. They look proud of their table but the photographer is proud of them too think.
    And about Memorial Day I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On July 7, 1928, sliced bread was sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company (of Missouri).

    It wasn't until "Sliced Bread" came out, that toaster sales skyrocketed (since the bread slices were standard thickness).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting. Thank you! Who knew we'd end up with toaster ovens and toasters with HUGE slots for all the uncut break we get these days.

      Delete