6/4/12

PARASOLS, they're a category


At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, parasols were common in photos. They were the fashion accessory of the time and for good reason; women's complexions were to be pale, not tanned. Pale skin showed you were upperclass, tanned scan was for the working class.

I'd love to be able to collect antique parasols, but rarely see them. They often look to be Asian, but perhaps there were companies in the US manufacturing them to look Asian. I haven't a clue. I do know that they are a category, a vernacular photography category.


Click on image to see it larger.

Visit this site to see some lovely impressionist paintings of women with parasols by American artist Frederick Frieseke.

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I’ve got two photos of my Mum as a girl in the twenties with a parasol.


    These word verifications are getting very difficult to read. The first one here is a number and I can barely make it out! Most of us in Sepia Saturday have switched them off now with no ill effects - worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we are swinging full circle finally: Un-tanned or un-burned skin is now being considered much healthier. (The vampire craze is doing its part too.)

    Our sun, considered the ultimate energy source, gives us ponder once again about too much of a good thing.

    I did a page on parasols back in April 2012. I'll put a link in to this page. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you have a wonderful collection of them!

    ReplyDelete