8/12/11

SUMMERTIME: Part 9


Summertime is going to a baseball game and enjoying yourself whether your team wins or not.




Click on either image to see it larger.

This weeks Sepia Saturday theme seems to be a blushing romance and dare I say it, hoping to get to first base? Since I’m still working on my summertime theme (if that’s what you want to call it) I’ll have to say the only romance in my shot is for those who are truly enamored with baseball.

I’m okay with baseball. I’m not big on watching sports of any kind, but I have been to a few professional baseball games in my life.

For anyone who has read this blog for the past few years you may remember this photo being shown once before when a friend called and said, “Meet me at the ferry on Wednesday. We’re going to a Giant’s game.” I did enjoy it. I don’t remember which team won, but I LOVED the park. I mean really LOVED the park with its views of the San Francisco bay.

This photo comes from the Bill and Dick Excellent Adventure album. I have featured a variety of photos from this album the past few years.

As you can see from the handwriting at the bottom, this was taken in Portland Oregon sometime around or after 1916. I have no idea the name of the team. I do know there are a heck of a lot of straw boaters in the stands.

As to the other words at the bottom, Mazie King…take a listen (open this link in an additional window) and try to sit still. Is it not the perfect tune to go along with this image? It all becomes a silent movie with the actors about to come to life at any moment.

As to who was Mazie King and why is her name on the photo? Well, I believe the curly haired woman in the foreground IS Mazie King. Take a look at this photo and tell me if you think it's the same woman. From what I've been able to find she was a dancer and appeared on Broadway and in vaudeville.
__________

UPDATE: Thanks to readers I can add the information given below in comments into the actual post.

From WYJ in regards to the baseball team: The team would be the Portland Beavers of the Pacific Coast League. There have been several versions of the team over the years. The latest was evicted by the city in 2010 so the stadium could be used by a MSL soccer franchise.

From Anyjazz in regards to Mazie: Yes, that's her. According to Wiki, "The Passing Show" was a music and dance revue staged annually from about 1894 on. From 1912 to 1924 it played on Broadway in New York. Mazie King was probably in it as a "Toe Dancer."

Thank you!


Tomorrow or possibly the next day or the next: more summertime

14 comments:

  1. It does certainly look like the same woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smile certainly looks the same; what a happy-looking lady! If it is her that’s enough romance for me, as I love theatre, music hall etc. I see the second photo comes from the collection of one of Alan’s clan- must be in the blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite ad of all time in your photo... is about HATS! Only back in those days ! Great photos...brought me right out to the ball game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's her. According to Wiki, "The Passing Show" was a music and dance revue staged annually from about 1894 on. From 1912 to 1924 it played on Broadway in New York. Mazie King was probably in it as a "Toe Dancer." Gee, one can never tell what is to be learned when following these clues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose if it was the boaters that were being advertised $3.00 would be expensive in 1916. A Toe Dancer? What's that? Still better than today's pole or lap dancers.
    An aold sport's photo with a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The team would be the Portland Beavers of the Pacific Coast League. There have been several versions of the team over the years. The latest was evicted by the city in 2010 so the stadium could be used by a MSL soccer franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like Maize King. Both women look extremely happy as they leave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An intriguing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/13/2011

    We romanticize the era do we not? Your photo is perfectly romantic when all we think about is pictured and not what was happening outside in 1914. Nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You reminded me- boaters were part of my Barbershopper's 'Walkout' uniform, back in the day - along with red blazers, black skirts, white shirts and red ties! We were snazzy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like mazie to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jinksy, I think the straw boaters are still used for school uniforms, specifically in Britain. I don't know if any private schools in the US use them. I also recall seeing photos of children in New Zealand wearing them. I think they're a fun hat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. while i prefer football, you've certainly made this interesting.
    good show!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. i Love It That You Can See The Crowd Too!

    ReplyDelete