8/20/10

GLENN and ALICE at the Turn of the Century


For this weeks Sepia Saturday I give you a lovely little portrait I purchased at an estate sale. The only information I know is that "Glenn & Alice" is written on the back. On the front the photography studio is Knight in Falls City, Nebraska. I find the backdrop behind them fascinating in its detail.

Click on image to see it larger.

I'd say the photo was taken close to the turn of the century, give or take 5 years before and 10 years after. Sweet children, but oh my the outfit the little boy had to wear. He looks out of proportion with that silly dotted collar at the end of his slender neck and the low wasted top. It's almost as if he's a bobble headed doll. I keep thinking there's a coil under his neck and his little head bobs side to side.

I do so love collecting photos of children. And if you're new to my posts I hope you take a few moments to look at my book Childhood at Blurb. It's a really fun little book full of moments in the lives of unknown children. No text, just engaging photos that I wanted compiled into one volume.

Also, you might want to follow me during the rest of the week at my blog because it is all about old photos, not just on Saturdays. Rarely do I have stories to go with them. Just images that I've found and want to share. I think you'll enjoy going back and looking at a lot of them.

Thank you Alan for hosting this weekly little event. It's always fun to see what others have to share.

18 comments:

  1. It is a remarkable photo. The two have great attitude about being in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy watching movies from BBC and mini series that I get from Netflix. I always get Vintage movies about the Edwardian or Victorian era and get such a kick out of all the costumes. These two look like something out of that Edwardian period. Great Photo.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. His neck does look painfully elongated in that getup. And the little girl's shoes with all those straps...or is that striped stockings? hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do appear to be strange shoes on the little girl, not stockings. I looked at them through my loop. I couldn't see any buckles or ties. I can't imagine what they were like to put on or wear. I've never seen any like it before.

    And I would imagine the ease with which they pose had a lot to do with the photographer. I looked around online and could not find out anything about the studio other than some other photos sold through an auction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Glenn is really enjoying his role as the older brother, don't you? He looks so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is my pleasure, and my payback is reading wonderful posts such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the little girl is darling with those pipe curls...I thought those were stocking she had on. This photo could be on the cover of a wonderful children's book from the time or on A Child's Garden of Verses"

    ReplyDelete
  8. a lovely photo. i think the little girl is wearing strappy shoes but i am not sure. i have a photo of my grandmother wearing what looks to be similar shoes that i will post sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well shoot. I checked the Falls City, Richardson County, Nebraska census for 1900 and 1910 and didn't find a brother-sister pair with those names. Maybe they lived a ways outside town or their grandparents lived in Falls City.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute photo. I beg to differ with you about his dotted tie. I like it! It does draw your attention to his extremely long neck, though. I'll bet he grew into it and became a very handsome man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what it is the photographer is holding to attract the children's attention. The little girl seems especially entranced. lovely thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a photo! The children are very attentive, and I agree with you about the boy's clothing.

    When I click on the photo it opens in a new window but I can't enlarge it (and I can with my own posts). If you could let us enlarge it we would enjoy looking at the detail.

    I'm still wondering about the straps on her shoes, if that's what they are. Perhaps she kept taking her shoes off and that's the best solution they could find....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny, it's larger when I click on it. On the page it's a bit over 3.5" with it going to 4.75". I don't upload huge files. Sorry. I have bandwidth issues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful photo, I love the clothes and also the expressions on their faces. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It' not larger when I click on it either...just as an aside.

    This is a rich and lovely photograph. I don't mind the boy's outfit. Actually both outfits are a little odd; they almost seem like something meant for the stage. the children are adorable though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, sorry about the size, but guess that's the way it's going to be.

    I did think the children looked theatrical. The mother probably had flair. The boys collar looks like the collar on a clown suit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have seen those shoes on other children - in fact my sister has a reproduction pair she wore with a Victorian style bathing costume a few years back. :-)

    Norkio

    ReplyDelete
  18. Norkio, do you know if the shoes your sister has snap, buckle, or tie? I'm fascinated by these.

    ReplyDelete