6/12/10

Sweet sweet CHERRY


This little sweetie is enjoying some of the bounty of summer. I'm guessing they're bing cherries.

Click on image to see it larger.

This vernacular photo is from an envelope of negatives bought at a flea market. I'm guessing the neg didn't travel far over time because this orchard looks a lot like the orchard I live in. This could be a shot outside my door. In fact, though I live in an apple orchard, at one time there was a cherry tree that produced two different kinds of cherries at different times of the summer on the same tree. A famous botanist was involved over 100 years ago. Alas he is long gone, and so is the cherry tree.

I have no idea if somewhere a print of this shot exists. I have the negative, it's scratched and worn, but the image of this little girl enjoying her cherries right off the tree still brings a smile long after she and the tree are gone. A child of the country with dirt beneath her feet. Too many children never experience the simplicity of such a moment. Think of all we've lost.

16 comments:

  1. Indeed. In season and lusciously sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand how they kept their clothes so white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is the lye soap. And the fact that it was all done by hand. Shear determination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grand find!

    What luck! A batch of negatives always seems to have a few surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm too lazy, I always wear black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, wearing black. That works fine with my dog whose hair is black. Not so great with my cats. Much to my dismay I've been walking around in a black t-shirt covered in cat hair. I never even noticed it. I just cleaned the whole thing with packing tape. I don't know why because I think it gets covered even just hanging in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what happens to all my white clothes, they get dirty hanging in the closet. Or when I'm walking the down the street. Or just standing still. New York.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a sweet photo, raising so many questions about who, when, where, what....thanks for sharing it and saving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I was in Manhattan there was a garbage strike and it was summer. Not having any reference point I wore a white blouse that day. Not only was it covered in little bugs by the end of the day but it was literally gray. I was stunned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, she is a cute little girl with her bonnet and dark stockings. Little House in the Orchard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little House in the Orchard..it could be a series! She is just as cute as she can be, bonnet and all:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute!
    I live near cherry orchards, but now I always worry about what they spray on them. Better not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Technically I'm in an organic orchard. Nothing gets sprayed. That however doesn't mean residual from other orchards and vineyards doesn't waft over. People from the state come out with measuring tools and analyze how far they think the drift might be and then designate certain rows of the apples to be used for things not labeled organic. Everything else in the orchard remains organic and is used in juices and sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nice that the scanner can read the negative. I haven't tried that but it sure came out clear. Interesting read....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually the hardest part of scanning negs is finding a holder they'll fit in. Too many different size negs and rarely a holder for them.

    ReplyDelete