5/27/10

A few years BEFORE THE FALL


On the back of this snapshot, bought at an estate sale, it says "In New York City 1925." There they are, at around 3:20 pm, according to the clocks seen in the shot, enjoying the afternoon sun. Within 4 years some were jumping out of buildings in distress over the market crash. I have no idea what street this is in NYC. I find it fascinating all of the men are wearing straw boaters. The uniform of the day. Or was it Straw Boat Friday?


It really does look like a canyon. It reminds me of some of the closed in canyons you find in the Southwest. Walk through parts of Zion in the afternoon and see the deep shadows. New York City is full of man made canyons only a little over 100 years old compared to the natural canyons created over millions of years. Have to admit, I'll take the natural canyons and their silence over the noise of a big city.


Click on image to see it larger.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't live in a place like that. It makes me panic just to look at the picture.

    Love the cars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. A canyon of buildings makes me nervous because I feel a bit trapped. The same thing in nature feels comforting and wondrous. Maybe it's the manmade noise that upsets me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live here but in Soho where Houston street is wide and the buildings are all less than 10 stories high so there is sky to be seen. Don't like the canyons though, or the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a five year old I remember the tall buildings and canyons. Then as someone in their late twenties I still remember the canyons but then you'd drive out of it and be on wide streets with buildings maybe, like you said, around 10 stories high. I had always thought all of it was just canyons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at 120 Wall St. decades ago, and it wasn't so bad. There was an old book store on Ann St. called Mendoza's that I wish was still there. Keep walking east or west or south and you hit the rivers, eventually, and the open sky (OK, maybe not under the FDR highway near the South St. Seaport). Great shot, by the way.

    ReplyDelete