2/12/10

VIRDEN COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL 1929


Last year I did two posts about Virden, Illinois. Recently I've heard from a few residents of the town who enjoyed seeing the old photos. You can see the old posts at Small Town USA and Virden Redux.

This evening I was sorting through some of the folders in my vernacular photography collection and came across a class picture from Virden High School in 1929. Over the next few days I'll post pieces of the whole so that the faces are large enough for people to see without having to click through to a larger size. I thought just maybe somebody would see one of their relatives. If nothing else, it's fun looking at the hairstyles and fashions from 1929.

I will eventually post the complete photo. As far as I know this is the last photo I have that has any connection to Virden.

As usual, you can click on any of the images below to see them larger at Flickr.

Virden High School 1929_tatteredandlost

Virden HS_1_tatteredandlost

Virden HS_2_tatteredandlost

7 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see the results of this project. These people will likely all be deceased. Any children of these faces will be about 70 to 80. Perhaps it will be GRAND children who will recognize someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's going to have to be grand children or great grand childrden. I hope someone finds the post and writes back with some information. It's always so fun when someone writes me a note or comment telling me something personal about what I've posted. It's happened a few times and it's the reason for the watermarking. I figure if there's the slightest chance down the line an image goes by someone that they recognize than can at least search back to where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know who the class "tart" was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was misunderstood and just desperately wanted to go to Hollywood and meet Douglas Fairbanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/06/2012

    we have just recently found an old what looks to be scrap book from a Donald Parker whom graduated Virden Community HS in 1943. this is pretty interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna Molitoris was one of my teachers in 6th grade at Virden North Grade School

    ReplyDelete