6/6/09

Au Revoir MAIME


Keeping with my own themes running through my head, travel (see my other site http://tatteredandlostephemera.blogspot.com/ for a couple of TWA travel brochure covers done by Bob Peak) and First Ladies, I give you a faux Maime Eisenhower excited about a trip to Europe. I know it's not her, but that's who she reminds me of. She also reminds my best friend and me of Jane Wyatt from Father Knows Best.

Oh how I remember being excited about my first trip to Europe. Reading everything I could find at a travel agency or the library. And yes, buying travel guides at the bookstore. 

Obviously "Madame Queen" is very excited and all dressed up for her flight. She had her hat, her pearls, and her guide. What more did she need to make her mark on the Continent? 

Au Revoir Madame Queen. I hope the guide didn't steer you wrong.

Au Revoir Madame Queen_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

And if you're too young to remember Maime Eisenhower or simply haven't a clue about American history click here to read about the real Maime and see her photo.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, she definitely has those Maime bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/07/2009

    Her name could be Marianne Queen,
    couldn't it?
    I can see the 'madame' in one glance, but I think there is a first name there. d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you're seeing, but no, it is "madame". I just looked at the print with my loop and it's a "d" there in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, Eisenhower. You have got a good eye. Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    PS: Word verification is 'diatesse'. Is that how you say 'diet' in Italian after a few drinks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willow pointed me in your direction and I'm glad of it! I love sifting through old photos (even at thrift shops, antique stores, cave walls, etc., of people and places I don't even know about, but love imagining the happenings)! Your blogs are the frosting on the cake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello new viewers. I've seen you both over at Willows lovely abode.

    Yes, word verification. I like it. I think you're onto something London! And have you ever clicked on the little wheelchair symbol? Odd, very odd. It's sort of like being stuck on the island on Lost with the "others" whispering in the background.

    And Sparkle, aren't cave drawings the ultimate ephemera? I love looking at petroglyphs. I've seen some wonderful images in the Southwest and wondered about the people who made them. How they'd feel knowing the images had survived for so long. And how confused they'd be to see them roped off.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I am really excited by your blog - fascinating! I have just asked my own blog followers to take a detour to visit you. I expect them to be as impressed as I am.
    Best wishes
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you very much! It's just a little something I threw together. Okay, so maybe not. Maybe it's a labor of love. Yeah, that's it. Labor...of love...and oddness. The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete